We got another uneven result from the recent application of growth regulator to the fairways which was done in the last week of October. We had a problem with the previous application and thought it was solved but alas it wasn't. The difficult aspect is that it takes two weeks for the result to become evident so it is hard to know what has and is happening but we think we are on to it this time. It is frustrating as we have used the same machine / technology since 2004 and never had the problem before and have probably sprayed eight times a year since then.
1R green has put on some leaf at last but as mentioned last week is much slower than expected. We did a little bit of investigation this week by removing some plugs from the green and unfortunately found some rather juicy couchgrass rhizomes 50mm under the surface. We can only try and keep painting herbicide on to any new invasive shoots while we wait for the 328 grass to start moving and cover in.
|Rhizomes next to arrows.|
The weather is now warming up to the stage that we should start to get some growth in the fairways and to assist that the West course fairways will be fertilised next Tuesday weather permitting. The extra motorised buggy traffic with the Covid rules and extra play has really put some strain on the fairways in particular with wear at an all time high in my time here.